Auto Insurance FAQ’s

Many customer concerns repeatedly come up, so in order to make it more convenient for you to find the answers you’re searching for, I have compiled a list of Frequently Asked Auto Insurance Questions. To understand the basics of auto insurance terminology, read this first.

This is Part 1 in the series of auto insurance FAQ’s. Go to Part 2.

What if I let someone else drive my vehicle and they get into an accident?
Generally speaking, insurance goes with the vehicle. For example, if you have an accident while driving someone else’s vehicle, the owner’s insurance would first be applied toward damages to the vehicle. Your auto insurance would also apply in the event that the owner of the vehicle had no auto insurance or did not have enough auto insurance to pay for the damages.  Again, this doesn’t apply to all cases but may be used as a guideline.

What should I do if I am in a car accident?
First and foremost, make sure that you and everyone else is okay and get help for the injured. The next crucial step is to immediately notify the police so that they can file a report. In the event of a lawsuit, the police report is the most accurate, relevant and heavily-relied upon information available. Make sure to get names, addresses, phone numbers, driver’s license number, license plate number, car make and model numbers, witness phone numbers, etc. The more information that you can gather, the better. If you or passengers are injured, be sure to save all medical bills and receipts.

Do I have insurance if I am renting a vehicle?
Your Farmers Auto Insurance policy does extend to provide coverage for rental cars that are rented within the United States and Canada. So you do not need to purchase an insurance policy from a rental car company, which sometimes can be more expensive more than the cost of renting the car!

Jump to Part 2 of the Auto Insurance FAQ’s series.

If you have any further questions to add my my auto insurance FAQ list, please call me at (949) 436-0740.